On Sunday morning, March 2, 2014, the fire alarm sounded in Edina at approximately 8:45 a.m. The Edina Fire Department, Knox County Rescue Squad and Knox County Ambulance District responded to a structure fire, a singlewide trailer home, on the 900 block of East Randolph Street in the southeast section of town. Firefighters were forced
On Sunday morning, March 2, 2014, the fire alarm sounded in Edina at approximately 8:45 a.m.
The Edina Fire Department, Knox County Rescue Squad and Knox County Ambulance District responded to a structure fire, a singlewide trailer home, on the 900 block of East Randolph Street in the southeast section of town.
Firefighters were forced fight the fire in bitter cold temperatures and they struggled to get the fire extinguished for several hours.
The cold was so severe that several of them reported having frozen gloves and gear, which restricted their movement considerably. Also, during the fight the fire hoses had to be kept running to prevent them from freezing up.
Once the fire was under control firefighters were able to take turns thawing out inside the cabs of the fire trucks two or three at a time.
The last fire truck was seen leaving the scene at approximately 1:30 p.m., over four hours after the alarm sounded.
According to Edina Assistant Fire Chief Tom Morgret, the homeowner was using a propane heater to defrost frozen water lines and accidentally caught the undercarriage of the trailer on fire.
The homeowner called the fire in himself and was able to get out of the structure safely. No one was injured in the fire, but the structure was a total loss.
Scroll down to see a photo gallery and a video of the fire.
Edina Fire March 2 2014