Rev. William L. Forst, 81, retired, of St. Louis, Mo., the former pastor of St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Baring, died on September 14, 2009, of complications of cancer. He was at the same time the pastor of St. John’s Catholic Church Memphis, Mo. He served as pastor at the Baring parish from April 1976 until August 1982.
He was born on June, 1928, the son of the late Frank A. and Bertha (Gulath) Forst, of Richmond Heights, Mo. He attended Kenrick Seminary and was ordained to the Catholic priesthood in St. Louis, Mo. by Archbishop Joseph Ritter on April 3, 1954. His first assignment was at Immaculate Conception Parish, Jefferson City from 1954 until 1959. When the new diocese of Jefferson City was established in 1956, he became incardinated to priestly ministry into the new diocese. In 1960 Bishop Joseph Marling asked Fr. Forst to study at the University of Missouri in Columbia, to earn a master’s degree in education. This was in preparation for him to serve as principal of St. Thomas Prep Seminary in Hannibal, Mo. He served as principal of the high school from 1962-1968. He also served as pastors of other churches in the Diocese of Jefferson City.
On June 19, 1994 Fr. Forst celebrated the golden jubilee of his priestly ordination in St. Louis, as he retired from the priestly service.
Survivors include Msgr. Charles Forst of St. Louis and his sisters Mary Zinselmeyer and Arlene Wittich. He was preceded in death by siblings, Bishop Marion Forst, the late Bishop of the Diocese of Dodge City, KS; Catherine Lenehan, Betty Sizemore and Frank Forst.
A Memorial Mass was held on Saturday September 19th at St. Mark Church on Moganford Road, in South St. Louis. Fr. Forst donated his body to medical research at St. Louis University Medical Center.