BOIL ADVISORY

Kahoka residents are advised to boil their water until 5 PM Friday. August 22.

Here are some tips from the University of Missouri Extension.

First, boil water vigorously for three minutes prior to use. Use only boiled water for drinking, diluting fruit juices, and all other food preparation. To improve the flavor of the flat taste of boiled water, store in the refrigerator and pour back and forth from one clean and sanitized container to another. Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use untreated water – even to brush your teeth!

Water could also be disinfected rather than boiled. To disinfect water intended for drinking or cooking, add one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand for 30 minutes before using. Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.

To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water. Add boiled or disinfected water. Store for up to six months.

Next, dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker. Then, you will need to disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Allow surfaces to air dry. Some have asked about using a household dishwasher but there are too many variables for this to be recommended for use. Disposable tableware is an option and is much simpler.

The health department also recommends having a “sanitizing rinse” to wash hands. Again use the one teaspoon of unscented chlorine bleach per gallon of water and rinse hands frequently by pouring the rinse over the hands. Air dry or use a paper towel.

Finally, water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing or using backyard pools so water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult with their physicians.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login